Review-Resistance Reborn by Rebecca Roanhorse





 The reservations I have with this book I don't believe lie on Roanhorse's shoulders. She is writing within a framework that is laid out by someone at headquarters (which gets completely eroded even more with how the movie functions). So the fact that I found the plot wanting is something I don't put at Roanhorse's feet.


The book details what happens after Last Jedi and tries to answer some of the questions raised there as well as start the groundwork for what comes next. It's a great deal of heavy lifting and Roanhorse doesn't do that bad of a job of it. The plot mainly focuses on Poe and his squad with side quests that include my favorite X-Wing pilot from the OT - Wedge!

It's just the plot feels like a lot of running around. And I wanted more Rose.

However, there are several things I loved about this book, starting early on. They are:

1. Acknowledgement of Vader's torturing of Leia and its effect on her. About time some author actually referred to that and the PTSD that most have resulted. After those few lines, Roanhorse could have had the characters singing the alphabet song and I would have been happy. I get the popularity of Clone Wars and all, but can we please remember that Anakin as Vader was not a nice guy? And killing your boss to save your son doesn't negate what you did.

2. Wedge.

3. Poe teaching Finn how to tie a tie.

4. If you are a shipper of Rey, Finn, Poe in any couple combo or the threesome, this book does have scenes that can be read as friendship or as shipping. Your choice.

5. The inclusion of characters from the Poe comic series. Including Jess and Sur.

6. The fact that the characters are not predominately male and seem to be diverse.

7. More importantly, this is one of the few Star Wars works I have read where the writer really does attempt to inject culture as something the various groups have. I am not talking about the board cultural details, but smaller ones. There are some beautiful sections about planets and food, for instance.

Comments