2021 Reading Year

 


Well, I didn’t reach many of the 2021 Reading Goals I set out at the beginning of the Year. But it was an awful year, so I am happy with what I reached.

               But also if I see one more writer or even reader say any of the following, I think I will scream:

                              A book in the romance genre doesn’t need a HEA

                              A reviewer should read all of the book before rating or reviewing

                              If you can’t say anything nice about the book keep your mouth shut

                              I never give below 4 stars.

These are such crap stances.

 

               Goals accomplished

– Complete James Baldwin, including The Last Interview and the I am Not Your Negro script.   – If you are American, you should read  Baldwin. 

Various Black Panther comics owned – I can understand why the Priest run is so popular, and he sets up so much, but man, are there some issues with the female characters.  Also, I only really buy Panther and Storm as a couple when Coates writes them. 

Complete – Easter Diamond series (1-7).  Fun series, but the will they or won’t they is going on for far too long.

Various Scooby Doo comics – overly a nice work down memory lane.  Daphne really is given room to shine in the comics.

Tove Janson letters – At times very interesting.

Passing by Nella Larsen

Shakespeare’s Star Wars  - even Ian Doescher cannot really make the sequels shine.

343 books off the TBR Mountain trek! – Many of those were free kindle comics and children’s books.

542 books read.  This includes children’s, comics and audio.

 

 

               Various highlights and lowlights.

General Reads for Americans – Complete James Baldwin, 1619 Project, Four Hundred Souls

Best Memoir – This was a tough choice because I read so many good memories this year – Malcolm X, Rebecca Solnit.  But I have to give the edge to Tove Ditlevsen’s Copenhagen Trilogy.

Best Graphic Novel – By an edge goes to Victor LaValle’s Destroyer which is an interesting twist on the Frankenstein story.  A close second is Anti-Hero which is geared towards younger children.

Best New to Author Book – People Like Them  by Samira Sedira.  Short novella about a murder.

Best Discovered Author (new to me) – Leila Slimani

Best Newish Poet – Amanda Gorman

Best Old Poet – Constantias P. Cavafy

Best Religious Read God is Not a Christian by Desmond Tutu

Best Children’s Series – The work of Aire Ekiuwa – Her children’s books focus on famous women from African.  Also Mary Nhin’s Mini Movers and Shakers series which deals

Best non-traditional Mystery -Pine  by Francine Toon

Best Mystery – In the Woods by Tana French

Best Travel – Book Lovers Guide to London by Sarah Milne

Best Folklore – The Shadows that Rush Past  by Rachel Qitsualik-Tinsley

Best Fantasy – Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking  by T. Kingfisher

Best General Non-Fiction Mediocre by Ijemoa Olou and Biased  by Jennifer Eberhardt, PhD

Best Series Installment The Finality Problem  (Warlock Holmes #5) by C. S. Denning

Best Retelling -  Troy by Stephen Fry

Romance that one could say is Rape- A Witch for Mr. Holiday  by Deanna Chase (giving both people a love spell it like the date rape drug).

Sexist Comic Book Gives All Comics a Bad Name Devolution #1

Never Ending Info Dump – The Mousse Wonderful Time of the Year by H. Y. Hanna

Rich White Male Entitlement Preacher Award – Love People Not Things  by Joshua Fields Millburn

That’s Not How Things Work Award  The Beast of London by L. D. Goffigan

 

 

 

 

Comments