Personal Canon - Merry Adventures of Robin Hood

Photo Source Pinterest

Title: Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
Author: Howard Pyle (also the illustrator)
First Read - Not sure.  Don't remember not having read it

This was my first literary introduction to Robin Hood, it might even pre date my seeing of the Flynn movie, though I am not sure. 

                The strange thing is that this book also had my first literary crush – David of Doncaster.  I’m not sure why I fastened on to him, but I did.  Maybe because I knew, or thought, Robin was already taken, and Little John never seemed to be a man for me.


                Robin Hood no doubt is a large influence on my love for elves, so this book is partly to blame.  Much is made of his books being for boys, but they are pretty good for young girls too.  The examples are all heroic, but there is no moralizing.  The purpose, if purpose there is, seems to be educate the reader on the basic myth or legend.


                This was also one of the first books that my father gave me.

Comments